Digital marketing or SEO has emerged as a hot bed of activity. It is also offering lucrative career options for individuals with a creative and technical bent of mind. An average day in the life of a digital marketer revolves around working with search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, etc. Frequent changes made to search engine algorithms makes this field a challenging yet engaging career option.
In this article, i present some handpicked SEO, SMO and SME tips. I hope this prove to be beneficial for beginners who are just picking up ropes of the trade.
Below I have mentioned few useful ways of Optimizing your website
1. SEO – Search Engine Optimization
2. SMO – Social Media Optimization
3. SEM – Search Engine Marketing
SEO – Search Engine Optimization
1.What is SEO?
Search engine optimization refers to the collection of strategies, techniques & tactics used to increase the visitors to a website from major search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing & etc.
2. What are the Various Methods of SEO?
There are 2 main methods of conducting SEO strategies:
- On-page optimization
- Off-page optimization
3. What is the difference between On-Page SEO & Off-Page SEO?
Optimize your website into Search engine friendly or making changes on your website into meta title, meta keywords, site structure, H1 tags, H2 tags, site content, solving canonicalization problem, managing robots.txt etc.
Off Page optimization
Off page Seo means build quality backlinks from 3rd party websites to your site to increase your site visitors. It will also improve your organic SERP results.
4. Few Important On-page Factors mentioned for Your Reference?
What are the character Limitations of Title, Description & Heading tags?
- Title: Google typically displays the first 50-60 characters of a title tag, or as many characters as will fit into a 512-pixel display.
- Description: The meta description is a ~160 character snippet, you can explain short & script overview about your website.
- Meta Keywords:Use keywords with high demand in the meta keyword section. Also, include a long tail keyword that best suits your webpage.
- Heading Tags: We can provide one h1 tag, two H2 tags and more than three h3 tags for each landing page.
2. Canonical URL:
A canonical URL is a your preferred URL. URLs can have multiple variables and as such, to avoid issues like duplicate content, Google asks that the webmaster chooses one to use. Let us look at our homepage and see what variables are available:
3. Why Should Provide Alt Tag with images?
Alt text enables search engines to crawl your images easily. If Alt Text is not provided empty place will be calculated in such places.
4. What Types of Sitemaps Avail in Google?
A sitemap is a list of pages of a website accessible to crawlers or users. It can be either a document in any form used as a planning tool for web design, or a web page that lists the pages on a web site, typically organized in hierarchical fashion. This helps visitors and search engine bots find pages on the site and 2 types of sitemaps avail in Google like XML & XHTML
- XML Sitemap: Xml sitemap is Google friendly
- XHTML Sitemap is user friendly
You can download a suitable XML sitemap for your website from http://www.xmlsitemap.org for free.
5. What is Robots.txt?
Robots.txt is a text file used to give instructions to the search engine crawlers about the caching and indexing of a webpage, domain, directory or a file of a website.
6. What is the Ideal Keyword Composition for a Landing Page?
Keyword density (SEO) is the percentage (%) of times a keyword or key phrase appears on a web page in comparison with the total number of words on the page.
Identify the most suitable keyword phrases related your webpage, and ensure that they are used at least 4 or 5 times in the content.
Note: Avoid keyword stuffing, instead maintain a steady consistency like 4 time in 300 words.
7. What are 301 & 302 Redirects?
301 redirect is permanent redirect to when a website is changed from its old page URL to a new one. A 302 redirect is temporary redirect to another page. It is done to inform the search engine to land in another page until the original page is restored.
8. What is the Ideal Website Loading Speed?
Check your site speed by copy+pasting the url in tools.pingdom.com & gtmetrix.com. Ideally the website loading should be less than 3 seconds. On the other hand you must take measures to make the loading speed less than 3 seconds Good.
9. Copy Checking :
Ensure your content is plaigarism free using any online copy checker like http://www.copyscape.com. Duplicated content will be penalized by search engines, thus defeating your content’s purpose.
You can reduce bounce rate by giving bread-crumbs at the top or at bottom of your page. Breadcrumbs makes it easy for audience to navigate to other related pages.
11 . How Many Internal links in a Post?
There is no hard and fast rule as to home internal links you can have. Strike a good balance of internal links by inserting at least 2 or 3 from a page to your other inner pages.